A data set is a combination of dimensions and metrics. Thanks to these data combinations, you can display graphs in your dashboards.
There are five ways to create and configure data sets:
- By sending an analysis from Explorer to a dashboard
- By importing a data set template (see below)
- By using the integrated data set editor (see below)
- By importing a custom template created in Data Query (see below)
- By displaying data from an external API
To begin creating content and your own data sets, click on the icon in the sidebar:
Start by naming your data set. Then, select its scope:
- Overall: your data set’s dimensions and metrics will be compatible with all the dashboard’s sites
- Site: you can integrate items specific to the selected site into your data set: segments, custom variables and custom metrics.
Then select the dimensions and metrics to integrate into your data set: click on the “dimensions” and “metrics” fields to get the list of all available items. You may also enter text to do a quick search amongst the list of items.
Items featuring a coloured band are your custom items (custom site variables, custom metrics…).
You may perform several different actions on items in the data set:
- Change the order of metrics or dimensions: to do this, simply drag the item to where you wish to place it:
- Sort on the item
- Filter on one or several items
- Hide an item
- Delete an item
All actions are accessible by clicking on the cog wheel icon next to the item in question.
You can preview the data set results by clicking the “View results” button.
ImportantWhen previewing a data set, the data displayed is sampled. This data therefore does not reflect reality. To display the entirety of your data, please display the preview of your dashboard.
Don’t forget to save your created data set.
A library featuring 50+ pre-built data set templates can help you get started easily with creating a dashboard. Choice of template include common analyses such as sources, content, geolocation and more… and all templates are compatible with multisite reporting.
To import a template, open the “Data” menu in the side panel, in the “Templates” tab. You can browse through the list of templates, or search by name. Then, click the "Import" button for your chosen data set to add the template to your dashboard.
Once it has been imported, the data set will appear in “My Templates”. Click on it to use it.
The following elements of data set templates cannot be edited: dimensions, filter on “page views” (> 0). However, you may delete metrics, apply filters, and sort on columns. If you want to make other changes, use the "save as..." feature: you can start from this dataset template and modify it as you wish.
Importing Data Query templates
You may use a Data Query template to create your data sets. To do this, open the "Data" menu from the sidebar, and click "Import a Data Query template".
Then, select the template you wish to import by clicking the "Import" button. You may also use the search tool to find a template quickly.